These summer storms have taken their toll on roofs in the Twin Cities. The latest storm was even reported to have caused the most widespread damage in years. From ping pong ball size to significantly larger baseball size hail, our homes really took a beating.
Hail can have various effects on your roof, depending on the size of the hail, the material of your roof, and the intensity of the hailstorm. If you’re wondering what kind of damage hail actually causes and why it is crucial to catch and repair the damage quickly, we have some answers for you.
- Denting and Damage: Large hailstones can cause dents and damage to roofing materials. This is especially true for roofing materials like asphalt shingles, wooden shingles, and metal roofs. The impact force from hailstones can crack or break these materials, potentially leading to water leakage and other structural issues.
- Granule Loss: Hail can knock off the protective granules on asphalt shingles. These granules protect the shingles from UV rays and other environmental factors. When the granules are stripped away, the shingles become more susceptible to deterioration, which can shorten their lifespan.
- Cracking and Splitting: These lumps of ice can cause cracks or splits in roofing materials like asphalt shingles, wooden shingles, and slate tiles. This can compromise the roof’s integrity and make it more susceptible to water infiltration.
- Leaks and Water Damage: Damaged roofing materials can create openings for water to seep into your home. Over time, this can lead to leaks, water damage to your home’s interior, mold, and mildew growth.
- Loss of Roofing Materials: Severe hailstorms can dislodge and remove sections of roofing materials, leaving your roof vulnerable to further damage.
- Impact on Gutters and Downspouts: Hail can also damage gutters and downspouts. These components help channel rainwater away from your home, and if they are dented or damaged by hail, they may not function properly.
- Weakened Integrity: Even if hail doesn’t cause immediate visible damage, it might weaken the overall integrity of your roof. Over time, this could lead to more significant issues, especially during following storms.
It’s essential to promptly address any hail-related damage to prevent further problems. To assess the extent of hail damage to your roof, it’s recommended to invite an expert out to perform a thorough inspection after a hailstorm. We can provide a detailed damage assessment and recommend whether repairs or replacements are necessary.
We are here to make the restoration and insurance process as easy as possible for you! Contact our team today to schedule your storm inspection, or look at our availability and schedule your appointment and choose the day and time that works best for you.